March 2018 Flash Contest (Part 2) - The Premise

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Critic

Post March 18, 2018, 11:41:52 AM

March 2018 Flash Contest (Part 2) - The Premise

The Suspense Is Killing Me
A Fantasy Fiction Writing Contest.

The Premise:

An aging, best selling suspense novelist believes the characters from his books are coming to life and stalking him with the intent on murder. He's hearing voices. He is seeing clothing and items he once described for his characters being left about his home. He's receiving messages through the mail from his fictional characters containing threats of revenge.

Is he losing his mind or is there a sinister figure lurking in the dark, pulling the strings in this Machiavellian plan?

What is happening to him and how it turns out is in your hands.

The Rules:

01. Stories submitted must be under 1,000 words.
02. No "overt" sex, violent acts or foul language. Keep events subtle (making use of clever and indirect methods to achieve your plot and story).
03. No images allowed in story submission.
04. If you have something unfavorable to say about a story, make it constructive, so the author can benefit from your viewpoint and insight.
05. Never speak negative about the authors themselves.

Timelines

The writing period will be for 1 week starting on Sunday March 18, 2018 and will end on Saturday March 24, 2018.

The voting period will be for 1 week and commence on Sunday March 25, 2018 to Saturday March 31, 2018.

The results will be posted after the voting has concluded.

"The Suspense Is Killing Me" flash writing contest begins...now.

Master Critic

Post March 19, 2018, 03:52:53 AM

Re: March 2018 Flash Contest (Part 2) - The Premise

Well...this is easy...consider it done...Fact is that this is an idea I already had years ago, about the possible responsibility of people who write stories involving Horror or crimes at times... :D

Critic

Post March 19, 2018, 04:26:46 AM

ente per ente wrote:Well...this is easy...consider it done...Fact is that this is an idea I already had years ago, about the possible responsibility of people who write stories involving Horror or crimes at times... :D

I really appreciate your love for writing. Always faithful.

Editor Emeritus

Post March 20, 2018, 12:31:23 AM

Whoa, a part 2!?

That's fascinating!

I sadly don't quite have a lock on a topic for this one as writen though!

I MIGHT, however, if it didn't have to include clothes around the room, etc.

More things from the change of times, whether stories "must include clothes, etc."

Lemme post a slightly altered version of the premise and if it ... flies ... (I am still processing it's open writing!), then I MIGHT be able to ace it!
- ----------------

Alt concept premise Version A:

The Premise:

An aging, best selling suspense novelist believes the characters from his books are coming to life and stalking him with the intent on ... what!? He's hearing voices. ... He's receiving messages coming through his note syastems, from his fictional characters containing threats, and more ...

Is he losing his mind or is there another explanation entirely?!

What is happening to him and how it turns out is in your hands. Or on your desk... WHY ... did you buy TWELVE new small notebooks and FIVE big ones... The writer knows his occult lore ... you do NOT mess with the Number Five in the Kabballah system...

Critic

Post March 20, 2018, 02:25:58 AM

TaoPhoenix wrote:Whoa, a part 2!?

That's fascinating!

I sadly don't quite have a lock on a topic for this one as writen though!

I MIGHT, however, if it didn't have to include clothes around the room, etc.

More things from the change of times, whether stories "must include clothes, etc."

Lemme post a slightly altered version of the premise and if it ... flies ... (I am still processing it's open writing!), then I MIGHT be able to ace it!
- ----------------

Alt concept premise Version A:

The Premise:

An aging, best selling suspense novelist believes the characters from his books are coming to life and stalking him with the intent on ... what!? He's hearing voices. ... He's receiving messages coming through his note syastems, from his fictional characters containing threats, and more ...

Is he losing his mind or is there another explanation entirely?!

What is happening to him and how it turns out is in your hands. Or on your desk... WHY ... did you buy TWELVE new small notebooks and FIVE big ones... The writer knows his occult lore ... you do NOT mess with the Number Five in the Kabballah system...

You have a really solid story and you got a lot into a flash piece. You should receive inspiration from churning out a good piece of fiction in a single day. It takes me several days to come up with a good idea for a story.

The clothes and messages are only examples of how the novelist believes he is being stalked by his fictional characters. You can make up your own examples in your story.

The premise is that you have an aging novelist who believes his characters are alive and out to murder him. From there, take it anywhere you want.

And have fun with it!

That is really why I do it.

Master Critic

Post March 21, 2018, 05:31:11 AM

My entry has been sent today...eh,eh :D

Master Critic

Post March 22, 2018, 05:52:07 PM

I got to start mine! This is an interesting one, and many ideas have popped into my mind. I hope a good one pops out! Heh, heh!
Tesla Lives!!!

Critic

Post March 23, 2018, 04:31:00 PM

Megawatts wrote:I got to start mine! This is an interesting one, and many ideas have popped into my mind. I hope a good one pops out! Heh, heh!

When I'm pressed for an idea, I just choose something and write 200 words and step back from it for a few minutes. Usually. I get more and more until I have a full length story.

But if I don't, I'll just proofread the 200 words and send it in. At least I wrote something.

I've heard time and again that a writer must - write, write, write.

If any of you are stuck for a complete story line, just pop off 200 words and send it in.

It's a good thing to overcome writer's block.

Master Critic

Post March 23, 2018, 06:57:44 PM

I've been very busy the last couple of days and will be busy tomorrow. I hope to get one in and I should. But if I don't it's because of time constraints.
Tesla Lives!!!

Critic

Post March 23, 2018, 11:26:06 PM

Megawatts wrote:I've been very busy the last couple of days and will be busy tomorrow. I hope to get one in and I should. But if I don't it's because of time constraints.

I'm always glad to read what you write.

Long Fiction Editor

Post March 24, 2018, 06:40:38 PM

Jim,
I have an idea for a future challenge theme: "One Breathless Moment." Explore turning-point events such as pressing ENTER, pulling a trigger ... small acts with large and irreversible consequences.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Critic

Post March 24, 2018, 06:53:31 PM

Lester Curtis wrote:Jim,
I have an idea for a future challenge theme: "One Breathless Moment." Explore turning-point events such as pressing ENTER, pulling a trigger ... small acts with large and irreversible consequences.

Wow, a moment in time that changes a person's life forever. I wonder how many people have suffered consequences from a momentary action that was not premeditated. This is a great one!

Critic

Post March 30, 2018, 11:43:25 AM

Lester Curtis wrote:Jim,

I'm going to do your theme concept for the April (Part 2) contest, which will give me time to develop it. Thank you for your creativity.

Return to Fun and Games