May 2018 Flash Contest (Part 2) - The Voting

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post May 28, 2018, 04:37:54 AM

Re: May 2018 Flash Contest (Part 2) - The Voting

Congratulations to the winner!!! :D

Critic

Post May 28, 2018, 07:30:56 AM

Lester Curtis wrote:Congrats, Jim; good job (except for the unconventional punctuation, haha).

Given all of flash's difficulties, this was really a pretty good collection of work, especially with a tighter time constraint.

I don't favor posting comments before the vote--I don't like the possibility of influence--and I don't read them until I've voted, but we're getting a steady flow of feedback, and that's what we're here for. Since this seems to be working, let's keep it up.

Hi Lester,

The brackets for the exposition was an experiment. I looked at it and wondered if it was something that made the dialogue stand out. I wasn't sure so I left it in figuring, if I'm going to try something, these contests would be the place to do it. I agree with you, it didn't work.

Why is it that no matter how long you look at a story before you submit it, after you submit it...it looks totally different? Does anyone else share this perception?

Yes, this line up of stories was special. Good natured, well intended comments like what we enjoyed this time is really more important than the votes, even though they help too.

Critic

Post May 28, 2018, 07:34:16 AM

Varad LERT wrote:Congrats, Jim! I voted for you because I loved the premise of your story and also the tongue in cheek voice of narration. A well deserved win. Best wishes to the other participants as well.

Thank you for that Varad and also from Stuart, Megawatts and Sergio.

This was another thing I tried, begin writing without working it all out before hand. It seemed liberating and a lot more fun.
Last edited by Jim Statton on May 28, 2018, 04:58:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Critic

Post May 28, 2018, 07:37:00 AM

Megawatts wrote:Congrads to Jim. All stories I though excellent!

Megawatts, you are special and important to this site's success.

Last contest, your professionally written story won by a landslide! This contest, your suggested premise was another major success!

You got a lot of creativity in you!

Long Fiction Editor

Post May 28, 2018, 10:15:56 PM

Jim Statton wrote:Hi Lester,

snip

Why is it that no matter how long you look at a story before you submit it, after you submit it...it looks totally different? Does anyone else share this perception?

snip

HA! Yeah, write anything, stick it in a drawer for a month--or even a week--look at it again and the first thing you want to do is give yourself a dope-slap!

That's good, though; if you can't be critical of your own work, you're not going to improve. But you also have to know when to tell your inner critic to shut up, or you'll never get anything DONE! :lol:
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Previous

Return to Fun and Games